Healthy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip scones
2 and 3/4ths cups of almond flour.
2 Tbs and 1 tsp cold unsalted butter
1/4th teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs and 1 egg white
2 Tbs and 1 tsp coconut milk (or any thick replacement milk. If using a thin replacement milk then do 3 Tbs)
1 tsp orange zest is optional but I like to add it. It mixes well with the dark chocolate.
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbs and 1 tsp local honey - helps with allergies
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or cacao chips.
coconut sugar for topping - optional
1. In one bowl add the eggs, coconut milk, zest, vanilla, and honey. Mix this until well combined and then set aside.
2. In a food processor or blender mix the almond flour, baking soda and salt.
3. slowly add the cold butter to the food processor as it is blending.
5. when the butter is in pea sized chunks stop the food processor.
6. Stir the dry/butter mix into the wet ingredients.
7. Fold in the chocolate chips.
8. Place dough in a bowl in the fridge for 1 hour to firm up.
9. flour a cutting board, prepare a pan with parchment paper, and preheat your oven while your dough chills. Take the dough out and make a circle like shape out of the dough on a cutting board. It should resemble the final product about. Should be about 6 inches in diameter and roughly 1 inch thick.
10. Deeply score the amount of slices you want to get out of the dough. I almost cut mine all the way through to ensure it cooks evenly.
11. Brush with coconut butter melted or regular butter and top with more palm sugar and dark chocolate.
12. Bake at 350 degrees for between 16-20 min depending on your oven.
Disclaimer: I do not like a super dry scone! so if this batter seems really wet to you just add more almond flour and bake a little longer!
Tips!: when reheating this for breakfast in the morning I like to take a slice, spread a little butter on it, and heat it up in the microwave for around 40 seconds. Enjoy with a warm cup of coffee!!